Bob Burkman’s Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for this afternoon’s opportunity to recharge our Optimist batteries.
Recently, I ran across an essay written by the late author and lecturer Leo Buscagla.
A little boy was trying out for a part in a school play. He’d set his heart on being in the play. His mother feared that he would not be chosen and that he would be heartbroken.
On the day the parts were to be awarded, his mother went to pick him up after school. The boy rushed up to her, eyes shining with pride and excitement.
“Guess what Mom?”, he shouted, and said words that should remain a lesson to all of us.
“I’ve been chosen to clap and cheer!”
Each of us supports our club’s activities in unique ways. As a “Friend of Youth” grant us the time and energy to “clap and cheer” as often as possible with our fellow Optimists.
In your name we pray.
- Art Hung, chair of the Sunshine Committee, said if you know of anyone that could use some sunshine let him or Donna Huss know.
- Kristen Marks, chair of the Essay Contest, announced essay submission deadline is February 1st 2022, and she can use judges to help select the winning essays.
- Mike Bevis, chair of the Golf Committee, announced meetings are starting for 2022. See dates below. This is the 30th year of the Tom Frazier Tee Off for Youth Golf Classic.
- 2/16/2022, 6 PM, Tom Frazier Tee Off for Youth Golf Classic 2022. Meetings in 2022 will be on Wednesdays on 1/26, 2/16, 3/16, 4/13, 5/18, 6/15, 7/13. Additional volunteers are always welcome. The event will be held on 7/18/2022.
Debe Dockins introduced Keith Weiskittle, the Executive Director, and Mark Metzger, the President, of the 2022 Americana Festival. They came today to discuss how you can volunteer or be a sponsor to help with the Americana Festival.
The Americana festival is nationally known. Activities will be July 3-4, 2022.
View the slide deck, “Join the Americana Festival, become part of something special.” here.
“You make a living by what you get. – You make a life by what you give”, –Winston Churchill
To find out more and to apply to volunteer view americanafestival.org. Like them on Facebook. Please spread the word with your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers about how they can volunteer.
It takes about $110,000 to put on the event each year. The goal is to break even with vendor fees and sponsorships.
Events of the Americana Festival
- 5k Run
- Children’s Area
- Auto Show
- Street Fair
- Art Show
Fun Facts about the Americana Festival
- It is a street festival started in 1972 and 2022 will be the 50th year the festival is held
- It is the largest one-day outdoor festival in Ohio
- The workforce is 100% volunteer with more than 100 volunteers working behind the scenes
- More than 85,000 will attend
- This is the group that along with Centerville and Washington Township arranges the 30-minute fireworks display
- The parade has about 120 units
They always need help with this huge event. No matter your skill, there is something for you. Each one of you makes them stronger.
“America was built on courage, on imagination, and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” — Harry S. Truman
Work Hard. Give back to what matters most.
Many leadership positions are desperately needed. Some leaders have moved out of the area.
- Administrative Assistant – provides administrative assistance in the months leading up to the event
- Parade Chair and Support – organizes and runs the parade from applications to the last float
- Logistics Support – from setup to teardown they make it all happen
- Entertainment Co-Chair – hires the acts, lays out the venues and manages the shows
- General Event Support – offer helping hands for areas from the Grand Marshal Dinner to the 5k Run and everything in between
Steve has been a resident since 1983 when he graduated from college. The website americanafestival.org has been rebuilt. One of the reasons for the redesign is that you can apply to be a street vendor application on the website.
- Major Event Sponsor Level $5000
- Event Sponsor Level $2000 to $4000
- Parade/5k Run/Auto Show Sponsorship $500 – $1000
- Americana Patron Sponsorships $500
Thank you, Mark Metzger and, Keith Weiskittle , for informing us about the Americana Festival.
New Member Readings and Inductions
|Name||Sponsor||1st 2nd 3rd Reading or Induction|
|Bob Myers||Gary Hansen||3rd Reading|
|Karen Gray Myers||Gary Hansen||3rd Reading|
|Mike Creech||Gary Hansen||3rd Reading|
|Cindy Gaboury||Julie Noeth||3rd Reading|
|Anna Bargmeyer||Bob Bargmeyer||1st Reading|
|Bob Myers||Gary Hansen|
|Jill Stevens||Mike Bevis|
|Mike Creech||Gary Hansen|
|Nicole Sturk||Kate Trangenstein|
|Terry Lewis||Bob Collins|
|Robert Taylor||Granddaughter is now at the Dayton Atrium medical center after being in Cleveland last week with the National Guard.|
|Fred Polizzi||Happy to see Mark Metzger.|
|Bob Collins||Scott Rheaume is off the ventilator and getting better.|
|Tom Novak||Mark Metzger does a great job at the Rec Center.|
Sergeants at Arms
|Don Massie and Beth Duncan||As incoming sergeants they got lippy last week with the current sergeants forgetting the current sergeants had one more week.|
|Fred Polizzi||Coming back from Florida with a nice tan.|
|Bob Vogt and Larry England||Going to Florida soon – the sergeants are jealous.|
|Greg Griffin||Lost his Governor’s banner and had to have another one printed.|
|Sue Jessee||Phone went off during meeting.|
|Scott Langer||Took bell and gavel during the Pledge of Allegiance.|
|Gary Hansen||Lost the bell and gavel.|
|Rachel Goetz||January 31, 2013||9|
|Chris McAlpine||January 27, 2009||13|
|Greg Wasmund||January 25, 2007||15|
|Mike Bevis||January 31, 2002||20|
|Todd Kelchner||January 30, 1992||30|
|Dr. Dan Passidomo||January 26|
|Gary Hansen||January 28|
|Clint Freese||January 29|
|Scott Langer||January 29|
|Bob Myers||January 30|
|Karen Sirmans||January 31|
CNO Donations – 2013 through December 2021
Click here to see a summary of donations the club has made since 2013
Thank You Notes Received
No Thank You Notes were received this week
Links to PowerPoint and Pictures
A Copy of this Week’s Meeting PowerPoint Slide Deck is here