2022-2023 Officers and Board of Directors Nominations for CNO
Jean Pummill, CNO Secretary, reported that the nomination committee of the Centerville Noon Optimist Club, comprised of past presidents, the current president and incoming president have nominated the following members for the Optimist Year 2022-2023:
- President Elect: Joan Cordonnier
- Vice Presidents: Patrick Arehart and Paul Boeckman
- Board of Directors for 2-year terms: Mitch Bodenmiller, Andy Dickerson, Rachel Goetz, Art Hung, Carol Smerz
- Board Members with 1 year left to serve: Diane Arehart, Brandon Barrett, Katie Calloway, Bob Glavin, Evelyn Griffin
- Past president representative: Mike Bevis
- Gary Hansen will serve as the Immediate Past President
- The incoming president chooses the Treasurer and Secretary. Roland Rapp has been chosen for Treasurer and Jean Pummill for Secretary. They are both currently serving in those positions.
We will hear from each of the nominated board members and officers over the next 3 or 4 weeks.
Joan Cordonnier, Nominated for President Elect
Joan has been a member of CNO since 3/22/2008.
I have been a member of this amazing club for the last 14 years. Truly a great example of the “Time flies when you’re having fun” saying.
I have enjoyed helping with many of the club’s activities over the years. Some favorites are the Bike Rodeo, the Haunted Trail and the Christmas Tree Lot. I have also been on several committees, most consistently the committee chair for the Americana 5K race. I have also been a part of Adopt-a-Family, Long Range Planning committee and the Will Cale Scholarship committee.
I also have experience with the club’s administration, serving on the Board of Directors for two years and two terms as Vice President.
I am honored beyond words to be considered for the opportunity to serve this club as President. I have a lot to learn, and am so glad to have so many wonderful, giving predecessors to look up to! But I’m also a little worried about being able to fill those same shoes!!
Thanks so much for all you do for the club!
Patrick Arehart, Nominated for Vice-President
Patrick has been a member of CNO since 11/27/2017.
I’m honored to be offered this opportunity. My wife, Diane, joined CNO six years ago and it has changed our lives for the better.
I serve on the CNO board as well as the technology and finance committees. I enjoy serving at our various community events.
I have written the weekly CNOtes newsletter since January 2018. There are 230 articles so far.
Recently on the website I built a new online event registration system with a public and member calendar. The website has also been redesigned and reorganized to improve its visibility and usefulness on especially mobile devices.
I helped Avenue of Flags by building a navigation app to help find where flags are to be delivered without having to key in the address.
I have enjoyed helping several youth competitions committees by building web forms and assisting with efforts beyond the online forms.
Mitch Bodenmiller, Nominated to the Board of Directors
Mitch has been a member of CNO since 8/22/2021.
I am honored to be named to the board and be involved. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know members of the club and am really excited to see where this goes. I enjoyed working on the tree lot and Avenue of Flags this past year.
Art Hung, Nominated to the Board of Directors
Art has been a member of CNO since 11/16/2001.
I remember being on the board when Chuck Dickerson had the idea for starting the Avenue of Flags fundraiser. Chuck told the board he will put up his own money to get this going.
I have served on the board two other times. I’ve sponsored 24 new members to the club. I’ve participated in just about every public-facing event our club does at least once. I chaired Tri-Star basketball three times and am currently working with Paul Boeckman to help with the Bike Rodeo. I helped judge the Essay contest this year for the first time; that was neat.
I chair the Sunshine Committee with Donna Huss and that’s been really fulfilling to do for the last few years.
- Beth Duncan announced that the 2nd Annual Washington Centerville’s Got Talent is accepting video submissions until 4/7/2022 from kids aged 4-19. Only the first 30 applicants will be accepted. The prize money for places 1-3 are $500, $250 and $100. An in-person FINALE of the top 10 chosen will be held in the Central Theater at Centerville High School on 5/4/2022 at 6:30 PM.
- Pat Behn announced that volunteers are needed for the Easter Egg Hunt that will be held on 4/16/2022 at Oak Grove Park. There will be 8000 plastic eggs with a piece of candy for the kids to find. Sign up to volunteer here.
- Jane Fiehrer announced that the Visual Arts contest is now open. Point potential participants to this page.
- 4/20/2022, 6 PM, Tom Frazier Tee Off for Youth Golf Classic 2022. Meetings in 2022 will be on Wednesdays on 1/26, 2/16, 3/16, 4/20, 5/18, 6/15, 7/13. Additional golf committee members and volunteers are always welcome. The event will be held on 7/18/2022.
- 4/16/2022 10 AM, Easter Egg Hunt at Oak Grove Park. Volunteers are needed at 8:30 AM to distribute the 8000 eggs before the event. There will be 36 gold eggs with prizes.
- 4/8/2022 at 6 PM, Euchre tournament at Beth Duncan’s clubhouse. The cost is $10.00 per person and will include pizza, salad, and chips. Bring your own beverage of choice. Payment is due at the event. Please register here to help with the head count for food.
Herb Reisenfeld, Tour Director
Jim Mogan introduced Herb Reisenfeld, the author of “Checking Inn – Adventures of a Tour Director.” The book has several great and funny stores. At the end of the meeting members were able to purchase a signed copy of the book for a $5 donation to CNO. Herb and Jim work together at Provident Travel.
Jim has known Herb for 60 years and worked with him for 50 years. They lived in the same neighborhood and became friends at age 14.
Reisenfeld’s Book, “Checking Inn – Adventures of a Tour Director”
From the web:
For over 48 years, Herb Reisenfeld has traveled with thousands of guests all over the United States and many parts of the world. He gets a tremendous thrill sharing his experiences by visiting various destinations that he has been blessed to enjoy many times. Being a member of the travel profession, it is his responsibility to provide his clients with top grade service to ensure they have a wonderful experience and get the most enjoyment out of their trip.
A professional travel agent is experienced to not only provide the service of booking air, hotels, cruises, resorts, etc., but can also offer suggestions for special restaurants, guides, excursions, and other unique opportunities beyond just being an order taker. He always ends his trips by asking, “What was your favorite thing about this trip? Was it the hotel, the sights, the food, the other travel companions?” The correct answer is all the above wrapped up in just one word, “Memories.” These last forever! Many of those memories are shared in this book.
Herb said thanks for having him here today. He has been in the large tour group business for 48 years.
Herb’s father-in-law Barny Rapp had a night club in Cincinnati. Barny is who suggested that Doris Kappelhof change her name. A song she was singing at the time was called Day by Day, so he suggested she change her name to Doris Day.
Herb said that Bob Braun was a great friend, commentator, and salesperson. Once on TV Bob announced there was a trip to Hawaii being charted and 442 people ending up making the trip. Bob Braun was very friendly speaking with several of the passengers during the cruise.
Herb’s favorite destination is Switzerland and he goes there every year.
Celebrities involved in his tours
- Doris Day
- Rosemary Clooney
- Bob Braun
- Joe Nuxhall
- Marty Brennaman
- Numerous Reds players including Tom Browning, Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, John Franco, Danny Jackson
Cincinnati Reds Baseball
Herb is still organizing Cincinnati Reds baseball trips. The Red Rooters club started with a group of 600 heading to Milwaukee in the 1950’s and the club still exists today.
Sparky Anderson is an all-around great guy and brought his family with him when he went on 11 different cruises with Herb.
- On a trip with Rosemary Clooney, she performed in two shows on the famous cruise ship QE2. Her shows earned her a luxury room on the cruise. They all flew back to the U.S. on a Concord Jet.
- On the ship called “Legend of the Seas,” they arranged for several Cincinnati sports legends to come along. They have done baseball cruises for 38 years.
- In 1978 the Reds played 20 exhibition games in Japan. They booked a trip to watch them play there.
- On the ship “Sun Viking,” they arranged for Reds Players Tom Browning, Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, John Franco, Danny Jackson and Marty Brennaman to be aboard. Their customers represented 200 of the 700 guests on the ship.
- At a baseball fantasy camp which they did twice in 1988 and 1989, they did a tribute to Joe Nuxhall by taking a photo with everyone in baseball uniforms wearing suspenders which Nuxhall famously wore as an announcer for decades.
Thank you, Herb Reisenfeld for telling us your stories. We look forward to reading your book “Checking Inn – Adventures of a Tour Director.” There are many more stories in the book than presented here.
New Events Calendar is Active on CNO Website
The member calendar which allows volunteers to sign up is active on the website. It works easily on both mobile and desktop devices. There are public and member calendars on the site. https://centervillenoonoptimist.com/cal/
There is a QR code you can use at the bottom to share the calendars with other members and the community.
Things you can do with the calendars
- View upcoming lunch and CNO 2.0 speakers.
- Sign up to volunteer for community events like the Easter Egg Hunt and Bike Rodeo. After you sign up the software will offer to add the event to your calendar.
- Sign up for social events such as Euchre tournaments and soon the annual dinners for officer installation and holiday party.
- The community can use it to learn about events like the Bike Rodeo, Fishing Derby and Tri-star Soccer. If they sign up we can send reminders of the events.
New Member Readings and Inductions
|Name||Sponsor||1st 2nd 3rd Reading or Induction|
|Judy Johnson||Barbara Santo||3rd Reading|
|Kelly Kempton||Mike Bevis|
|Mark Andrea||Mike Bevis|
|Mary Mogan||Jim Mogan|
|Rick Hartley||Steve Rau|
No time for Happy Bucks this week.
Sergeants at Arms
No time for Sergeants at Arms this week.
|Joan Cordonnier||March 22, 2008||14|
|Margie Jones||March 25, 2020||2|
|Anne Miller||March 25, 2020||2|
|Maureen Ruff||March 25, 2020||2|
|Brandon Barrett||March 26, 2019||3|
|Bob Crawford||March 26, 2019||3|
|Charla Rheaume||March 26, 2008||14|
|Scott Rheaume||March 26, 2008||14|
|Andy Higgins||March 30|
|Colleen Albertson||March 30|
|Maha Kashani||March 31|
|Margie Jones||April 2|
CNO Donations – 2013 through February 2022
Thank You Notes Received
No Thank You Notes were received this week.